Ethiopia - Tigray Region Humanitarian Update

Situation Report

Cluster Status

Food

Needs

  • With the harvest and markets disrupted by the conflict, there is a risk of a further deterioration of food insecurity across Tigray. While many internally displaced people seek refuge in public institutions, most newly displaced families across the Region are seeking refuge with relatives and host communities, putting an incredible strain on their already stretched food resources. Food assistance from the Government and partners remains the main source of food for most families in the Region.

  • Partners on the ground report serious concerns about poor targeting and highlight the need to also consider host communities for assistance and reduce opportunity for tensions between them and those who have been displaced by the conflict.

Response

  • The National Disaster Risk Management Commission (NDRMC), in collaboration with the Food Security Coordination Directorate (FSCD), the Joint Emergency Operation Program (JEOP) through its partner Relief Society of Tigray (REST), World Food Programme (WFP) and other partners are involved in the food response across Tigray.

  • A total of 1,157,133 people have received their double rations both from JEOP and Productive Safety Net Programme (PSNP). JEOP has provided food to 1,128,372 people with a further 28,761 people served by JEOP/PSNP.

  • WFP has reached 32,422 people in two woredas – Atsbi Endaslasie and Edagahamus

  • As of 23 March 2021, out of the 40,000MT PSNP food allocated by Food Security Coordination Directorate (FSCD) for distribution in Tigray, 33,572MT (84 per cent) have been moved to Mekelle warehouses from Djibouti port. The remaining 6,428MT (16 per cent) is expected to be moved by end of March. 13,200MT have been distributed to 880,142 food insecure people in the second round. 5,965MT distributed to PSNP clients and the remaining 7,235MT to relief beneficiaries. Distributions have expanded to additional three woredas that were having access challenges: Neader in Central zone, Zana - South East zone and Selekeleka – North West zone.

Gaps

  • Limited functionality of government structures at district level, targeting challenges and insecurity continue to affect food delivery.

URL:

Downloaded: